Thursday, December 31, 2009

laos.


we came back to our quaint little guest house and sat on our balcony admiring the breathtaking view. it was our first day in laos and we spent most of it as observers. the tourist town of vang vieng is known for its tubing and trapeze like swings. people were drinking and doing flips and they were writing on each-other with permanent marker. tayler and i just watched in awe. seeing how ridiculous everyone looked, we made some rules for ourselves. and despite the crazy tourist, laos was one of the most beautiful places i had ever been.
i say it out loud, "this is one of the most beautiful places i have ever been." and as i say it i feel something small crawling up my back. almost certain that its only in my head i reach my hand around to check and feel a huge spider under my dress!! as soon as i felt it, i also feel the spider BITE me! i scream like a girl. my dress was instantly on the floor and i was running around in my swim suit yelling for tayler to "GET IT OFF ME!!!" she was just slapping my back, chasing me - slapping me- she didnt see the spider. but she did see the bite. right in the middle of my back. and with out thinking i told her she had to suck out the poison. i was aware of the dangerous insects and snakes and what not in the states. i was even aware of the poisonous spiders in australia. but laos! heck i hadnt even heard of the place untill a month ago. who knows what crazy insects could be lurking on our balcony. the bite was burning and i was sure the poison was headed straight for my heart. tayler hesitated for about four seconds and then sucked the poison out and spit it in the sink. we laughed for a long time, and the burning eventually faded, but a friendship like that will last forever ;)

No comments: