Wednesday, June 4, 2008

typical

I'm the most terrific liar you ever saw in your life. It's awful. If I'm on my way to the store to buy a magazine, even, and somebody asks me where I'm going, I'm liable to say I'm going to the opera. It's terrible. ~J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye, Chapter 3

today was a typical morning. ate some breakfast burrito, drank coffee, hung out with my dear friend laura. try ridiculously hard to make my baby nephew smile. i know he can, but he just stares at me, straight faced. ha.
it is not until about 2 that i find it necessary to put on less comfortable clothes. the door bell rings and i am slow to answer expecting one of the fifteen neighborhood kids. it is a gosh darn solicitor holding coupon books. hoping he didnt wake up the babies i glance at our very cute and kind "no soliciting" sign and say hello. i had to listen. ten minutes later, i think of any and every excuse.

"oh yes. um, i already have that."
"oh but you can give it as a gift." he says.

"ill think about it, and check out your website (good one, i thought)"
"its now or never, they are going fast." he says.

finally he left me alone when i told him i was very poor with no money. i mean come on! this guys was so pushy. and $30 for coupons. who even buys coupons? ok maybe i have once.

five minutes later my nephew and his friend run inside. then 3 more kids. but these kids look less happy than the first two. i tell them they need to play outside, but one interupts, "dante is being mean" and the little girl next to him says, "yeah, he's not following god's rules."

right. i see.

No comments: