Saturday, March 20, 2010

meet me in manila

culture shock: n. A condition of confusion and anxiety affecting a person suddenly exposed to an alien culture or milieu.

ok well. if this is the definition, then i sometimes get 'culture shock' when im driving around in denver and i cant find my way home. haha.

there is this feeling i get. this certain feeling that i cant explain when im in a new place. traveling. discovering. embracing.

"so have you been to the philippines before?" my sweet new filipino friend, malinda, asked me on the plane.
um...no.
"oh. well, you know someone here then?"
no. well...im meeting my friend from the states.
"oh. i see. and they have been here before?"
no.

and my adventure was about to begin. sometimes not planning ahead is what makes things so exciting. i came with no expectations. i know nothing about the philippines. except for that manila is the capital and that i was arriving at night. and tayler was meeting me at the airport. at least that was the plan the last time we talked.

"maybe you should call her?" my sweet new filipino friend, patrick asked me at the airport.
oh its fine. i actually told her 8pm so shes not really that late.
"you dont have any number to call? where are you staying?"
i dont know. im sure it will be fine.

its hot here. im wearing a sweater, but underneath i am wearing a yellow tank top and i dont see anyone other women wearing tank tops. there is no internet at the airport and we said the baggage claim but you cant get back into the baggage claim area. these cars called "jeepneys" keep driving by...one just picked up a family of 15. no white girl with curly hair in a taxi. if anything i can just fly back home.
"KATE!"
yesss...i never felt so happy to see another white person.
"sorry our clock said it was earlier than it really was!"
um...yeah. good excuse. i dont even care im just glad you are here! now...tell me everything you know about this place.

No comments: