Monday, March 15, 2010

there's no place like...first class

another trip overseas! this time to australia...i was off to visit my friend michelle! usually on these trips, getting there is half the fun (once you get on the flight of course). i have many memories of drinking champagne, watching movies and eating great food with my friends in first class. its usually pretty empty...the only people who can afford first class international are extremely wealthy business men or other airline employees.
i started my traveling around 3pm. leaving for 10 to 20 days. packed light. probably forgot something. first step was getting from DEN to LAX and then LAX to MEL.
a FIFTEEN hour flight.
fifteen hours! this is the longest flight i have been on. and as much as i wanted to sit in first class, Delta (my first choice) was not looking good. and now United was filling up. a zed fare on Quantas was looking like my best bet. which means i would have to sit in...eek, i dont even like to say the word...coach.
how bad could coach be though? really...i mean i keep telling myself that normal people travel this way all the time.
I check in and receive my seat number....57E. that does not sound good. and it wasnt. right away i see that 'E' is a middle seat in the middle section. the worst. i walk back with all my stuff to row 57 and i look over to see a baby and a three year old and a frantic mom with too much stuff. i couldnt even see my seat beneath all of the stuff, but somehow i was seated in the midst of the madness. a quick side note...i just wanna say that 'kids' should not be allowed to come on these long flights. they go crazy. i heard a comedian once say that there should be a whole other kids plane that is hooked on to the big plane. kind of like the kids table at thanksgiving :)
thank goodness the frantic mom was separated from her husband and was begging me to switch with him. yes, of course (any seat is better than that seat). so im off to my new seat. last row, but an extra seat between me and the crazy kiwi. who when i sat down says that her and i are "going to be great friends!" 'oh...good. um, my name is kate,' and i put out my hand. that is about as long as our friendship lasted as she seemed quite offended in the strength of my handshake. supposedly she had carpal tunnel and gave me dirty looks for the next 5 hours. the next 7 hours after that were spent with her BARE FEET nestled into my leg! where i was then giving her dirty looks. she said, 'oh sorry,' but did not move her feet.
all i could do was put on my headphones and my blanket and dream of the wonders that are...first class.

No comments: