Tuesday, November 25, 2014

The sound of silence.

Boyfriend Nathan bought me this book that I wanted called "Seven" by Jen Hatmaker. 

"Seven is the true sory of how Jen (along with her husband and her children to a varying degrees) took seven months, identifited seven areas of excess, and made seven simple choices to fight back against the modern-day diseases of greed, materialism, and overindulgence."

The theme of the months are clothes, shopping, waste, food, possessions, media and stress. I read the first couple chapters and since there is no real order in the months I chose to start with the media month. I have been wanting to to a sort of "media fast" for a while - so it was perfect timing. For the month of November I would be giving up seven things:

1. facebook
2. instagram
3. pinterest
4. tv (news, shows, etc)
5. movies
6. radio in the car (except npr, sermons, worship) 
7. games (entertainment apps)

I am about halfway through and I am realizing my life is so full of noise and the urge to constantly entertain myself. At the stoplight, on the bus, when I wake up, when I go to bed. We don't know how to be quiet anymore. I loved when I was in Africa and I would look forward to quiet yoga sessions in my room and reading before bed. But this isn't Africa. And I actually went to South Africa with my mom and I couldn't do it. I coudn't just read or have a conversation for seven days. We watched a couple movies. I watched movies on the 17 hour plane ride! I've definitely failed a few times. 

On top of the noise and time thing I know I find a lot of identity in facebook or instagram. Posting cool pictures of my travels, getting likes, being invited to things. Where does my value come from? Is this "stuff" that I am filling up my time with making me more loving, patient, kind? Can I hear my own thoughts anymore? When was the last time I blogged? Ha. I dont think that I have to quit facebook and movies but I want to be less glued to my phone. And have better face-to-face time with people. We say we don't have time for things but when we take away all the fillers we have more than enough time. Time to listen. 

No comments: