Monday, December 2, 2013

Alone in Afirca.

WHEN: Um...I have no idea.
WHERE: Amsterdam airport.
WHAT I FEEL: I got on all three flights with out a glitch. I forgot nothing. Said goodbye to everyone. I had my game face on. I will successfully experience Africa in all its glory. I laughed to myself as I boarded the flight. Are we even going to Africa? It had to be one of the touristy international flights yet. A window seat next to a small english woman. Success.

WHEN: 9:30am (Tanzania time)
WHERE: Arusha Backpackers
THOUGHTS: It was the tiniest little room with just enough room for a twin bed and my backpack. There was breakfast on the roof and I completely forgot that I'm in a country that roast good coffee. Hallelujah! I check out and the front desk calls me a taxi. Hussein. I look into his eyes and with all my intuition we exchange a handshake of trust. It's how you travel. I told him my plan - ATM and then the "Noah" (speed taxi) to Karatu. And for the next hour or two (time in Africa is hard to measure) we were friends. We had to go to multiple ATMs (imagine that) and as we got out in the bus station area we were bombarded with people trying to get my business. And yelling at Hussein in Swahali. He was kind of laughing as he carried my backpack - my puma shoes dangling on the back. "What are they saying?" I asked. He said - they wanted him to give me to them and they would pay him commission and he said no - so they said "what - is she your relative or something?" He stayed with me for the next hour as the noah filled up. 10 people in a van fit for 8. I gave him a hug and waved goodbye as we pulled out...as if he was my relative or something.

WHEN: 5:30pm
WHERE: A coffee plantation?...just near the Ngorongoro crater. 35 minutes off the main road of Karatu.
WHAT I SEE: We are in a truck capable of off roading up this green, mountainous, surreal landscape. Pascal, the driver hasnt said anything to me. And despite how bumpy the road is and how beautiful it is outside I am actually dozing off. We stop to drop off a couple people that were in the back seat and I am literally rubbing my eyes with two fists, like a child. I see two kiddos running up to me. Waving with the biggest smiles. Oh my god. They are so cute. I get teary eyed (I am jet lagged ok!)...Pascal informs me this is the school. We keep driving...through a small village with more kids waving and pull up to Rift Valley. More kids. 115 kids. I am overwhelmed and so excited that this is where I get to call home for the next three weeks...and I am no longer "alone in Africa."

No comments: